THE FULL FACTS

A guide to ESA, ESA50 claim form and ATOS WCA
Guest Announcements

As a Guest, you will need to REGISTER to post, see the entire forum, and use the site to its full potential. Please fill in your profile upon registration.

DO NOT ASK MISS B QUESTIONS via TWITTER or FACEBOOK or EMAIL they will not be answered.

Newly Registered Users - Your first few posts will be moderated by The Admin/Mod Team before appearing on the site.

Please use the forum SEARCH facility (top right link when logged in) PRIOR to asking/posting questions, as most scenarios will have already been covered & answered multiple times.
Also CHECK the updated links in the LIBRARIES, and in the ADMIN's and MOD's signatures.

It is currently Thu 17 Apr 2014, 12:54

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue 17 Jan 2012, 10:26 
Contributor
Contributor

Hi al - I was told in mid November that my case was being reconsidered . I've heard nothing since then. Does anyone know how long it normally takes before you hear back ? Thanks

PostPosted: Tue 17 Jan 2012, 20:53 
Registered member
Registered member

There seems to be no hard and fast rules for the time it takes to get any response from the machine. We are, after all is said and done, dealing with humans who have big "In" trays, get sick, go on holiday, lose stuff, forget things, etc., etc. :-ss

If you are not suffering financially then best let sleeping dogs lie. If you are, then get on the ol' dog & bone soonest! :)]

PostPosted: Tue 17 Jan 2012, 21:46 
Registered member
Registered member

Hi i am new to this forum.Hi everyone.
I have just been placed in wrag.
dwp said i could have it looked at again.Is it safe to do this,or can they stop my benefit.
Been placed in wrag without a medical,or medical support.thanks.

PostPosted: Wed 18 Jan 2012, 11:07 
Registered member
Registered member

nao wrote:
Hi al - I was told in mid November that my case was being reconsidered . I've heard nothing since then. Does anyone know how long it normally takes before you hear back ? Thanks

There seems to be vast differences in the time taken. When I asked for my case to be reconsidered I put my GL form thingie and a letter in the last week of October. Heard absolutely nothing but knew it was received as I sent it by registered delivery. Finally around 5 to 6 weeks later in early/mid-December I got a letter from the DWP DM reviewing my claim who sent me a very brief letter saying he had looked at my original claim and the appeal form/letter and considered the points I brought up but found not enough evidence to change my group from WRAG so he was standing by the decision that I belonged in the WRAG. He said that my appeal would now be passed on for an independent appeal.

Two days later I got another letter from the main DWP benefits office for Scotland who said they would review my appeal/claim before deciding whether to agree with the DM decision and if so pass my appeal onto an independent appeal board or change the decision in my favour themselves. They asked if I had any further documentation or evidence, or just something I wished to add to my claim to pass it on asap so they could take it into consideration when reviewing. They also said if they decide in favour of the DWP they would explain in writing why they made that decision and send me information on the appeals process I would be facing.

Less than 3 weeks later according to the date on my next letter which arrived on Friday (the 13th would you believe :-o ) they had reviewed my paperwork and decided the change the decision in my favour and as such my case wouldn't be going onto an independent appeal board.

So the DM took about 5 weeks to review my case, it was passed onto the head office for pre-appeal review by the higher ups at the DWP and they took less than a month total (during Christmas/New Year as well) to review and make their decision.

I was seriously expecting to wait months and months for the entire process given what I've heard from other claimants.

I am in North East Scotland and it went through the entire DWP process in roughly 2 months including the festive holidays when the offices would most probably be closed. So I reckon that was pretty quick compared to many others experience. Different parts of the country seem to have vastly different time frames it would seem.

PostPosted: Wed 18 Jan 2012, 11:10 
Registered member
Registered member

bluebell wrote:
dwp said i could have it looked at again.Is it safe to do this,or can they stop my benefit.

I know I was placed in WRAG without a medical myself and asked the DWP to look again at their decision and I was kept on my WRAG rate of benefit during the 2 months or so that it was being reconsidered by the two different DWP departments.

I've heard some discuss an reduced 'appeal' rate for those going through an appeal but haven't experienced it personally. Maybe someone more experienced or knows more about the ins-and-outs can give you a definite answer. I just know I was kept on my WRAG rate of ESA.

PostPosted: Wed 18 Jan 2012, 18:45 
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

LesleyAnn wrote:
bluebell wrote:

I know I was placed in WRAG without a medical myself and asked the DWP to look again at their decision and I was kept on my WRAG rate of benefit during the 2 months or so that it was being reconsidered by the two different DWP departments.

I've heard some discuss an reduced 'appeal' rate for those going through an appeal but haven't experienced it personally. Maybe someone more experienced or knows more about the ins-and-outs can give you a definite answer. I just know I was kept on my WRAG rate of ESA.

Bluebell, if you were on Incapacity Benefit before, your benefit won't go down if you appeal. The reduction applies to new claims for ESA where they pay you at JSA rate while waiting for an appeal. By the way, the difference between WRAG and Support is only £5 a week.

PostPosted: Wed 18 Jan 2012, 19:12 
Registered member
Registered member

Thankyou for replys,i have been on ib for 10 years,didnt have a medical put in wrag.didnt send anything to support my claim,thought they would look at past evedence.so going to send letter and get a letter off Doc.see what happens.I know its only 5 pound extra,but I cant cope with the interviews ect.Lady at dwp said it shouldnt go to tribunal have to wait and see fingers crossed.

PostPosted: Thu 19 Jan 2012, 18:46 
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

bluebell wrote:
Thankyou for replys,i have been on ib for 10 years,didnt have a medical put in wrag.didnt send anything to support my claim,thought they would look at past evedence.so going to send letter and get a letter off Doc.see what happens.I know its only 5 pound extra,but I cant cope with the interviews ect.Lady at dwp said it shouldnt go to tribunal have to wait and see fingers crossed.

Don't wait around though - the appeal period is only 30 days so you need to give them notice of your intention to do so asap. (Unless this period is automatically extended when people have asked for a 'reconsideration'? Does anyone know the answer to this one?)

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jan 2012, 13:28 
Registered member
Registered member

HELLO got a letter off my doctor,he said i am not well to attend intervews
and not well enough for employment.
so sent it off for a reconsideration see what happens .

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]