THE FULL FACTS

A guide to ESA, ESA50 claim form and ATOS WCA
Site Announcements

Currently sorting private messaging and posting postings with help form phpbb3 support forum. PMs were being abused in the past and hence turned off

Could Snowman,Kab and Patricia PM me

It is currently Fri 21 Nov 2014, 18:22

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed 07 Mar 2012, 21:52 
Registered member
Registered member

I received a phone call from the job centre on Monday to say that the new bill had been passed. As a result of this my ESA will stop on 30th April because I have been on it more than 365 days. I asked her what I am supposed to do now financially. I was told that because my husband works full time I am unable to apply for income based ESA. I am supposed to have yet another medical this Friday. I said to her there was no point in attending this now then. She says I have to attend or they will stop paying my National Insurance. I wasn't even aware that they were paying it. I don't understand if this is only until 30th April, or as long as I am off sick. Someone on here told me that as they understood it, it as as long as on benefits which would be April. The reason I am off work is due to stress and depression. This has got worse of recent months. The stress of having to attend another medical has made me even worse. To be told my money is stopping and I can't claim anything else has really tipped the balance and I can't stop crying. If it only means the difference of a couple of months of National Insurance then it's really not worth the extra stress.
I really don't understand these new regulations. Can anyone clarify the situation please? What are likely to be the outcomes of attending or not attending the medical since it will stop in April anyhow? What is the situation with National Insurance? Will they stop paying this in April as well?

Many thanks

PostPosted: Thu 08 Mar 2012, 07:23 
Registered member
Registered member

Soz I'm new to this and thought I had put the other one in the wrong place, since it seemed to be for facts rather than discussion.
Very sorry didn't intend to confuse just very stressed at the mo

PostPosted: Thu 08 Mar 2012, 12:04 
Registered member
Registered member

HI Sandy Pandy
If you do not attend the medical without good reason, then most likely your benefit will stop. I can understand your reason for not wanting to attend, but by attending the medical you could still receive ESA until April 30th which is 7 or 8 weeks ESA payments.
Mike

PostPosted: Thu 08 Mar 2012, 15:46 
Registered member
Registered member

Hi Kab and Mike

Thank you for your advice and support. I know you are right, I'm afraid common sense has gone out the window. My hubby is working away, but due back tonight so complete and utter panic has set in since I received the phone call. Thanks for making me see sense
sandy

PostPosted: Thu 08 Mar 2012, 17:18 
Contributor
Contributor

Hi
I have just had the same phone call and was told that even though my money would stop they would continue paying my NI contributions so I take that to mean even after the money has stopped for as long as I was unable to work like they do with JSA if your partner works and you can't get benefits yourself.
I actually sent a change of circumstances form in 2 weeks ago, the woman said she had it in her drawer but it was in the wrong department, should be in their medical department and she would forward it now! She is still sending me the exact same form to complete for income based ESA although she says this one doesn't need all the medical evidence I have supplied with the other?
How very strange.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]