THE FULL FACTS

A guide to ESA, ESA50 claim form and ATOS WCA
Site Announcements

Currently sorting private messaging and posting postings with help form phpbb3 support forum. PMs were being abused in the past and hence turned off

Could Snowman,Kab and Patricia PM me

It is currently Thu 27 Nov 2014, 16:40

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri 13 Apr 2012, 17:14 
Registered member
Registered member

Hi, Just when i was keeping up with this transfer from IB to ESA, and thought i understood all the different outcomes.!! How wrong i was.

Well, this morning i received my 'decision' letter from DWP...(16 days from having medical assessment).
In the first instance i was relieved to continue to receive this..(which means i passed the medical).

My outcome is: i have successfully been transferred and entitled to ESA.......however, i have been put into the WRAG group... as CONTRIBUTION based. (I do understand the implications of this)

Since i was receiving previously on IB INCOME related entitlement, i was shocked to see it is now not the case.

So, my question is, if someone could clarify please.
Is it possible to get both Income related [b]OR/b] Contribution based in the WRAG group?

In my letter it states "You can enquire about how to get Income Related ESA" by contacting them!!

Am i correct in thinking you can get either of IR or CB while in WRAG, but only IR while in Support Group.

Hope ive explained ok.
Thankyou.

PostPosted: Fri 13 Apr 2012, 18:09 
Contributor
Contributor

You can't have both, either you will be in contribution ESA (not means tested for a year) or income ESA (means tested from day one)

I think you should be on Contribution ESA or at least that is what I ended up on from Incapacity benefit.

PostPosted: Fri 13 Apr 2012, 18:35 
Registered member
Registered member

Thankyou 'ToolBoc' for that reply.

Yes, i am on CB ESA/WRAG until the End of November.
So, therefore, am i correct in thinking, i can apply for Income related ESA (Wrag) when my CB ends then?

Or,... shall/can i appeal the decision that i should be in Income related ESA/wrag, if you follow.?

The letter i received is strange the way its put!

As per letter:-
Your Living expenses.........................................................................amount

Limited capability for work addition

Extra Money because you are in the Work Related Activity Group.............amount

Which gives a total income-related amount................................................amount

INCOME AND BENEFITS
No income will be taken off your ESA

Your income-related amount is amount less amount, so you would have been entitled to....[i]amount[/i]

However, because you are entitled to contribution-based ESA, we will pay you..................amount

Its almost if DWP are contradicted themselves, my income related amount is the same as my CB amount!!

PostPosted: Fri 13 Apr 2012, 19:21 
Registered member
Registered member

Ahh, ok, thankyou Kab..... think i have finally got it... LOl!

So, assume i got a good result by passing my medical!. I will of course ask for my ESA85a report.

Should i now go an celebrate (i wish), the fact that i have been lucky to have been placed in the ESA Wrag group at all.! As i realise now, the outcome could have been no entitlement at all! judging by many posts on here.

I guess i should start reading the forums about the procedures for all the impending interviews for work focused appointments, and what is expected of me or not!

Thankyou once again guys. and good luck to everone else.

PostPosted: Fri 13 Apr 2012, 22:37 
Site administrator
Site administrator

The whole situation for many people is confusing.

To start with, you weren't getting Income-based IB - there was never any such thing. What you may have been getting was Income Support with a Disability increment. And all that time you were also getting NI credits.

ESA is a whole new benefit which you start from scratch. In assessing your entitlement they may have discovered that you had enough NI credits to be paid CB ESA. However, that will end after 12 months in the WRAG. In your case, that shouldn't be a concern, as you were entitled to Income Support before, and presumably will become entitled to IR ESA when CB ESA ends (provided your circumstances haven't changed).

I hope that explains it.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]